In this month’s Listener Questions episode, Devin and John help listeners with questions about disinheriting spouses, and not giving money to their adult children.
The first question is from Don, who asks, “Can I disinherit my wife?” As you might suspect, the answer is not straightforward. There are state laws, there are ways to get around state laws, and there are rules for specific situations.
- How Louisiana is special
- Why state laws protect surviving spouses
- Why your company retirement plan may not care what the law says
- How your spouse can probably receive a share of your estate even if your will says otherwise
- How a property agreement, like a pre-nuptial agreement, can override the law
The next questions is from Kim, who asks, “How do I tell my adult kids that I’m not giving them money?” It’s tough, because saying “no” may come with some consequences that you don’t want.
- Why you should say no, even if you don’t absolutely have to
- Some strategies for saying no
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Free ebook: www.bigpictureretirement.net/steps
Big Picture Retirement Episode 21: Naming Beneficiaries
Do you have a question for Devin and John? Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Don’t forget to subscribe to the show, and leave a rating and a review!